The Return of Grunge...Or Something Like That


Should we all bet on whether or not Grunge is making a comeback?


One thing is for sure, I'm ON this wagon.


Sheer layers and mixed plaids on the runway
Dries Van Noten SS13

Sheer dress layered on top of two totally different plaids.  This makes no sense.  
I love it so hard, I'm drooling.


Crazy mix of patterns and florals for spring grunge
3.1 Phillip Lim SS 2013


A complete mish-mash of pattern that kind of looks ridiculously cool.


Plaids and Grunge on the Runway
Dries Van Noten SS 2013

Purposefully awkward lengths, sheer plaid, metallic, haphazard beading.


Metallics, florals, grunge, and plaids for Spring
Dries Van Noten SS 2013
Metallics and plaids for a grunge Spring
Dries Van Noten SS 2013
Metallics, florals, non-matching plaids.  Chaos.  Luxurious Chaos.


New Grunge: Non matching plaids mixed together for Spring
Dries Van Noten SS 2013
Non-matching plaids.  The tucking in gives it a fresh, almost preppy spin.


Grunge punk hybrid with fishnets and florals for Spring
Anna Sui SS 2013  
Fishnets under a cutesy dress, under a lightweight military anorak.  This was my favorite outfit to wear in high school, and I will still wear some version of it when I'm 90.


Fishnets and girly details for Spring
Anna Sui SS 
The shoes make this whole "bad girl" think kind of sweet.


Victorian Punk on the runway for Spring
Anna Sui SS 2013
Victorian / rebel / punk hybrid.  It's almost offensive, but just too adorable.


Sheers and broken glitzy plaids for a grunge spring
3.1 Phillip Lim SS 2013
 Sheers & broken glitzy plaid.


Punk shoes with fishnet socks for Spring Punk version of the gladiator sandal for Spring

The SHOES!




New Grunge : knits and plaids for spring
3.1 Phillip Lim SS 2013
Layered knits & plaids.


Punk Fishnet blouse on the runway for Spring
Bottega Veneta SS 2013
That.  Is a fishnet blouse.  By Bottega Veneta.  I almost can't believe it.


Feminine punk with fishnet cardigan and polkadots, ripped skirt
Bottega Veneta SS 2013
Fishnet feminized with polka dots and a cardigan shape.


punk and grunge, edgy textures on the catwalk for spring
Bottega Veneta SS 2013
Chaotic textures that look surprisingly refined depending upon what you pair with them.


Are you surprised?  Overjoyed?  Cringing?  My mom is probably cringing.
As Met curator Andrew Bolton told Style.com of the upcoming Punk: Chaos to Couture exhibit, "Fashion has lost it's edge...I just think fashion needs an injection of that [punk] at the moment."  The exhibit doesn't open until May 9th, but so far I say Bolton is onto something. 
You might already know that I reserve a special place in my heart for all things edgy and macabre.  I'm smitten with the way a few designers have mixed all of these rebellious aesthetics of the 70's, 80's, and 90's together, and stitched them up with ridiculously sumptuous fabrics and details for Spring.   
I'm particularly fond of the nonchalance, the "humble" plaids, and utter pretentiousness of high fashion labels embracing the gutter.   
This is sure to make some high strung musical purists mad, and I think that is delightful.  Because this time around, they won't get it.

Photos via Style.com

2 comments:

  1. This grunge is much better than in the 90s... It was awful back then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am kind of obsessed with the 90s (I mean, I live in Portland...jk) so I am all for grunge coming back! I am especially loving these makeup looks, except for er...maybe Lindsey Wixson. ;) Regardless, these images definitely have me really excited for what's around the corner in the fashion world!

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Thoughts! Let's Discuss / Debate / Banter in the name of Style.

 photo glyphicons_210_left_arrow_zpsf0f9a5e8.png  photo glyphicons_211_right_arrow_zps2bd68774.png
Blogging tips